The CUPE Nova Scotia Awards Committee is pleased to circulate the 2019 awards, scholarships and bursary applications.
We encourage you and your local to consider nominating members for these awards which will presented at the upcoming CUPE Nova Scotia Convention May 26 to 29, 2019.
We would also ask that you share the scholarship and bursary applications included in this mailout with your members.
Please note that all these applications are available on the CUPE Nova Scotia website.
We look forward to receiving your nominations and applications by the deadline date of March 15, 2019.
CUPE NOVA SCOTIA 15TH ANNUAL BARBARA KOWALSKI LITERACY AWARD
CUPE Nova Scotia are seeking nominations for individuals or locals that promote literacy within their union, workplace and or community. There are two awards available annually: one for an individual member and one for a Local Union.
CUPE NOVA SCOTIA OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY AWARD
CUPE NS annually presents two Occupational Health and Safety Awards one to an individual and one to a Local Health and Safety Committee who has made a significant contribution to health and safety. This may be through education, awareness or actions that made a difference.
CUPE NOVA SCOTIA STEWARD OF THE YEAR AWARD
CUPE Nova Scotia Executive Board is pleased to encourage affiliated Locals to nominate someone they feel deserving of the CUPE Nova Scotia Steward of the Year Award. If you have a Steward who you believe to be a Champion Steward in your workplace. For examples a Champion Steward may include, but not be limited to, a Steward who:
- Encourages members to speak up for themselves with the Employer by educating members on their rights;
- Ensures that workplace issues are handled in accordance with the collective agreement;
- Raises awareness about the rights of workers in accordance with legislation; and
- Follows through on concerns during the grievance process, in a timely fashion and keeps members updated throughout the process.
CUPE NOVA SCOTIA ROCKY JONES BURSARY
CUPE Nova Scotia awards one $1,000.00 Rocky Jones Bursary annually for the upcoming academic year.
- A student that is an African Nova Scotian or an Indigenous Nova Scotian.
- Applicant must be graduating or have graduated from a Nova Scotia High School and entering their first year of post-secondary education.
- Applicant must be a member, child of, or legal ward of a member in good standing of a local union affiliated to CUPE Nova Scotia.
- Consideration will be given to first time recipients.
CUPE NOVA SCOTIA MIKE MCNEIL WEEKLONG SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
The CUPE Nova Scotia Mike McNeil Weeklong School Scholarship is awarded by CUPE Nova Scotia annually. The Scholarship will cover the cost of the registration fee for a single room for the purpose of attending the CUPE Atlantic Weeklong School.
CUPE NOVA SCOTIA HIGGINS INSURANCE SCHOLARSHIP
Two $1000.00 CUPE Nova Scotia Higgins Insurance Scholarships are awarded annually by CUPE Nova Scotia. Union members in good standing with a local union affiliated to CUPE Nova Scotia; and or a son, daughter or legal ward of a member in good standing of a local union affiliated to CUPE Nova Scotia who is planning enrollment at an accredited post-secondary institution in the 2019-2020 academic year may make application for one of these scholarships.